Facebook Love | Teen Ink

Facebook Love

By ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York
ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York

You laugh because you think it's a joke. I laugh because you think I'm joking. -Kevin Hart

"Facebook Love" by Leah B is a beautifully piece written from the perspective of a teenage girl. The narrator is looking at the profile picture of her crush and fantasizing about it. She sees the clothing that her crush is wearing, noticing how the blue shirt complements his eyes. This analysis of the profile picture just shows how much the narrator is in love with her crush. She mentions his melted-butter hair along with his care-free smile. The author clearly took her time to describe the boy, giving the readers a mental image in their heads. The narrator then continues, fantasizing about the boy. She wonders if the picture was meant for her and begins to have an imaginary conversation with the boy she is infatuated with. The reader becomes excited with her as she continues to dream about her crush.

Then, her world is shattered when she finds out, through a status update, that her dream boy is now in a relationship with Miss All America, the perfect girl. The author does a excellent job showing the change in the narrator throughout the story. At the beginning, the narrator was content or even eager considering the fact that this picture might be for her. But at the end, she is disappointed and sad. The author does an amazing job characterizing the narrator, bringing the reader straight into the story. This author did a magnificent job in this piece and I hope to see more of her work in future issues.