Throw Away the Makeup

The article “Throw Away the Makeup” by Amy G helped me realize something very important. While applying makeup is viewed by some as a fun, grown-up activity, it is actually harmful to girls in physical and mental ways.

First of all, skin absorbs some of the makeup applied to it. This is dangerous because most of these substances are made with unhealthy chemicals and artificial colors. While all-natural products may be advertised, a glance at the label will reveal unhealthy preservatives. Many girls are not aware of this because they are too excited to look mature and “beautiful.”

That is where the real problem comes in. Makeup causes those girls to think they have to cover their natural selves in order to look pretty. As Amy puts it in her piece, “Makeup distorts genuine beauty and real confidence.” She says beauty is really how a person sees and interacts with others. Changing one’s appearance is like putting on a mask for the rest of the world. It does not allow that person’s true self to shine through.

Amy made her point by getting rid of all her makeup. She calls for all girls to do the same to make the statement, “I’m beautiful no matter how ‘pretty’ I am.” While I doubt most girls think they can live without makeup, I agree with all of Amy’s points. Makeup is detrimental to one’s health and only sends the wrong message to girls and the people around them: I am not attractive enough. This is why it is important to realize the harmful effects of makeup.