Less Poetry? | Teen Ink

Less Poetry? MAG

Recently, I have noticed several letters addressing the excessive amount of poetry published in Teen Ink each month. After reading one comment a few months ago, I was slightly offended since it defied everything a poet believes. Another writer responded to this feedback emphasizing the deeper meaning in poetry and expressing her opinion: Poetry deserves the devotion of Teen Ink's commendable pages.

Some of Teen Ink's poems are beautiful, meaningful and deep. Poetry is an amazing genre of writing. Still, all of those pages filled with poetry seem a bit overwhelming. Perhaps less poetry isn't such a terrible idea. After all, it could open up space for other writers.

Editor's Note: Glad many of you have noticed how many pages of poetry we publish each month and here's the reason: Of every thousand submissions we receive, at least 700 are poems. And since we receive about 150,000 submissions each year, you now have idea how many are poems. There are lots of poets out there! So, it only seems right to showcase a mere fraction of these amazing pieces in each issue.

I respect all poets, being one myself, but recognize the need for oppurtunities in other writing styles.

on Apr. 29 2013 at 9:24 pm
SSSplatters PLATINUM, Plainview, Minnesota

"What does not kill you makes you stronger!" or
"Your only limits are the ones you set on yourself" Love doesn't bring happiness, happiness can just happens to be found easier where there is love-- Sam

Poets are writing non fiction in a more beautiful way, it easier sometimes to put ideas in a free verse and have beauty than have some non fitction or fiction no one can relate to in the way some poems can

on Mar. 31 2013 at 11:43 am
XpurplemacaroniX GOLD, Hagerstown, Maryland

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Oops, I meant to say "So many more poems *submitted* "

on Mar. 31 2013 at 11:41 am

I completely agree. It's almost like reverse discrimination; there's no purpose in exchanging some of the excellent quality poetry for lesser quality pieces just because you want to have a certain percentage of pieces that aren't poetry. Truly quality pieces of any other genre - fiction, nonfiction, art, etc. - definitely deserve a spot in Teen Ink's pages, but as there are so many more poems printed, there are automatically going to be more pieces of poetry that are outstanding quality than there are going to be outstanding pieces of the other genres. I say, like you, that the genre shouldn't matter; the pieces that are the best are the ones that should be printed.

on Mar. 24 2013 at 12:27 pm
Theholethatiswhole BRONZE, Auburn, Maine

"Trees are poems that the Earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper, that we may record our emptiness"--Khalil Gibran

Emphasis should be not on which genre of work to post, but if the quality of a piece merits its posting. Poor ly constructed poetry is as unwelcomed as poorly constructed fiction, and so on and so forth. 

KylieK GOLD said...
on Mar. 14 2013 at 10:06 am
KylieK GOLD, Mt. Washington, Kentucky

"To love is to surpass one's self."

I don't think it's a matter of "less poetry articles and more fiction pieces," or, "more college essays and less of the art work;" I think that whichever pieces have best QUALITY of writing should have every right to be published, whatever genre the best pieces may be. I think that the most talented and original works should be published. After all, when you write for a career, publishers don't say, "oh, no... We're not going to publish this mystery novel because we're making room for romantic stories to be published." They pick the best because it's simply the best, or the most marketable. I say, let the best get in print! (Even if that means poetry DOES get knocked off of the board a little.)   Just my humble opinion :)

Powla SILVER said...
on Mar. 12 2013 at 11:43 am
Powla SILVER, PHX, Arizona

You can complain that roses have thorns, or you can rejoice that thorns have roses.
-Ziggy-

these kids are really good at their poems they deserve the spotlight once in a while :D

on Mar. 8 2013 at 7:38 pm
thegreatmorry BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts
I like poetry :P It deserves it's spot  

on Feb. 7 2012 at 5:19 pm
Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
I did not mean to offend any poets like myself through this article, but I apologize just in case. :) Happy writing everyone!