Less Poetry? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , Westfield, NJ
Recently, I have noticed several letters addressing the excessive amount of poetry published in Teen Ink each month. After reading one comment a few months ago, I was slightly offended since it defied everything a poet believes. Another writer responded to this feedback emphasizing the deeper meaning in poetry and expressing her opinion: Poetry deserves the devotion of Teen Ink's commendable pages.

Some of Teen Ink's poems are beautiful, meaningful and deep. Poetry is an amazing genre of writing. Still, all of those pages filled with poetry seem a bit overwhelming. Perhaps less poetry isn't such a terrible idea. After all, it could open up space for other writers.

Editor's Note: Glad many of you have noticed how many pages of poetry we publish each month and here's the reason: Of every thousand submissions we receive, at least 700 are poems. And since we receive about 150,000 submissions each year, you now have idea how many are poems. There are lots of poets out there! So, it only seems right to showcase a mere fraction of these amazing pieces in each issue.

S.S.SplattersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Poets are writing non fiction in a more beautiful way, it easier sometimes to put ideas in a free verse and have beauty than have some non fitction or fiction no one can relate to in the way some poems can

Theholethatiswhole said...
Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm:
Emphasis should be not on which genre of work to post, but if the quality of a piece merits its posting. Poor ly constructed poetry is as unwelcomed as poorly constructed fiction, and so on and so forth. 

MaybeImCrazyButIThinkILovedYouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:06 am:
I don't think it's a matter of "less poetry articles and more fiction pieces," or, "more college essays and less of the art work;" I think that whichever pieces have best QUALITY of writing should have every right to be published, whatever genre the best pieces may be. I think that the most talented and original works should be published. After all, when you write for a career, publishers don't say, "oh, no... We're not going to publish this mystery novel... (more »)

XpurplemacaroniX This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:41 am :
I completely agree. It's almost like reverse discrimination; there's no purpose in exchanging some of the excellent quality poetry for lesser quality pieces just because you want to have a certain percentage of pieces that aren't poetry. Truly quality pieces of any other genre - fiction, nonfiction, art, etc. - definitely deserve a spot in Teen Ink's pages, but as there are so many more poems printed, there are automatically going to be more pieces of poetry that are outstanding ... (more »)

Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:43 am :
Oops, I meant to say "So many more poems *submitted* "

thegreatmorry said...
Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm:
I like poetry :P It deserves it's spot  

midgetgrrl replied...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:43 am :
these kids are really good at their poems they deserve the spotlight once in a while :D

HopefulWolf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm:
I did not mean to offend any poets like myself through this article, but I apologize just in case. :) Happy writing everyone!