This Work is Patent Pending

“This Work is Patent Pending”, by Melinda P, uncovers most of the flaws that are in the United States Patent and Trademark Office clearly and concisely, with several excellent examples. Her main point in the topic, that the U.S. patent office causes a decline in innovation, not an increase, is valid and sensible. However, I feel that she missed one important fact about the subject.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is underfunded, understaffed, and affected by the stagnant economy as much as the rest of us. It is because of this that it has a serious backlog, and sometimes lets a couple of inane “inventions” pass through. It should be taken into account though, that the office is working as hard as it can to overcome its challenges. Although the department could use some changes to its laws, Melinda should have considered the external forces that are having an impact on it as well as the internal ones.

Nevertheless, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office needs to improve one way or the other. It is becoming a serious burden on our already troubled country, and for the good of us all we need to make sure that its change isn’t “patent pending”.