The Gosling This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“The Gosling” by David Chernack is a unique piece that will touch readers. It beautifully recounts the author's experience with a Canada goose gosling in the wild, and is sure to leave you reflecting on his ­interaction with nature.

David creates a clear, honest, and detailed narrative, making it a true memoir. The description of the setting is especially vivid, lucid, and complete. Phrases like “the last April rains gently shake the newly appointed bright green leaves and the wildflowers speckle the woods with pink polka dots” help the reader envision the scenery and feel as much joy as the author. Through these vivid descriptions, the events are brought to life. The reader understands David's thoughts and feelings and gets a good sense of his personality.

What I liked most about this story, however, was that David didn't exaggerate his emotions. Too often writers overstress their feelings, which makes the story less believable and, because of that, less touching. The true emotions of the narrator, along with an excellent portrayal and balance of actions and thoughts, make “The Gosling” a great story that I'm certainly glad was published.