Prayer Ought to Be in Schools | Teen Ink

Prayer Ought to Be in Schools MAG

By Jesschen21 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Jesschen21 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Lexi S's article “Prayer Ought to Be in Schools” contains many ideas I disagree with. First, she says that our country was founded on Christianity. Based on my knowledge, this country was founded on a desire for freedom and liberty for all. It was also founded on a belief in freedom of religion, which is very different from Christianity directing the complete foundation.

I understand that many of our founding fathers were Christians, and even our current president prays in his office. But it's important to note that he prays in private, and not during meetings or public gatherings. Religion is a personal matter that individuals should pursue on their own time, if they choose to at all. And so I believe that the Supreme Court made the right decision in prohibiting prayer in schools.

If the Ten Commandments were hung in schools and prayer was reestablished, what would happen to the students and staff who are not Christian? Bringing religion back into public schools would alienate those who are different, promoting racism and bullying. Religion is too personal to be in public schools, where children come from various ethnic backgrounds. If, as Lexi ­asserts, our founding fathers would be “changing the United States back to the way it should be,” what would happen to freedom of religion and justice for all? Is justice taking place if we are forcing public school children to observe Christian values?

I am proud to be an American citizen, and I am happy to be able to say that my education and my religion are separate. I'm not saying that religion should be cast aside; the diverse ethnicities and religions of this country are what make it great. However, bringing prayer back into public schools would destroy the principles of equality and acceptance our great nation was built upon.

cat15 said...
on Jul. 7 2012 at 12:22 am
Yes, personally I agree with you. I was also taught that the U.S. was founded on the idea of "religious freedom," and the writer of that article obviously did not learn that. I also think that the writer is taking HUGE liberties in saying that we shound "change the U.S. back to the way it should be" by forcing her own religious views on others.