The Snowman | Teen Ink

The Snowman

By ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York
ThinKnoWrite GOLD, New York City, New York

You laugh because you think it's a joke. I laugh because you think I'm joking. -Kevin Hart

When your teacher says that are snowflakes are unique, and so are you. When your teacher says that you are all different and there’s no need to be ashamed of it. When your teacher lies to you, to the innocent kindergarten student eager to learn about the world and she has a smile on her face. You don’t know about this lie, you’re just eager to take out your new crayons and begin to color.
“Snowman”, by Caeleigh M is an article about an innocent subject: drawing snowmen. However, hidden in the innocence is a message that shouldn’t apply to the real world today: don’t rock the boat. People who do something different from the usual get ridiculed and shunned from the “normal” group. Though teachers claim that we are all unique and must not be ashamed about it, a boy in the author’s class was ridiculed for drawing a purple snowman with four circles increasing in size.
Today in American society, you must be part of the “normal” group in order to be accepted. To be accepted you must look a certain way, act a certain way, and have a certain set of beliefs that fit with the crowd. The pressure to be part of the group is enormous and nobody wants to be viewed as an outcast or a weirdo.
However, what would happen if people did not challenge the ideas of the “normal” group and let their imagination take charge? What would happen if people did not speak their minds out? What would happen if people cared too much about their reputation instead of the right thing to do? Without people like the boy who drew the purple snowman, are the people who stand out among the crowd and take chances. These are the people who make a difference in the world.
So instead of making fun of the boy with the purple snowman, embrace his creativity. We can all change the world: one purple upside down snowman with four circles at a time.