The Chosen People

After reading the December 2011 issue of Teen Ink, I found that I greatly admired Mark Levin who wrote “The Chosen People.” Although he was still young, he showed courage when he stood up for himself and who he is. It is not easy to stand up to someone, let alone a teacher and your classmates. Mark Levin set a good example for kids who do not celebrate Christmas everywhere.

As a born and raised Catholic who attended Catholic school for nine years, my Christmas spirit is naturally through the roof. I truly believe that Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. However, as I learned of other religions and customs growing up, I often wondered what the holiday season was like for those who do not celebrate Christmas. I imagine it must be the least wonderful time of the year when blow-up Santas are constantly in your face and radio stations start playing exclusively Christmas music. “The Chosen People” showed me that Christmas is not the be all end all of holidays. This year, while I am still bursting with excitement for Christmas, I will try to be more tolerant and understanding of other cultures and holidays. Maybe I’ll only break out my ugly Christmas sweaters once of twice.