Religion Ought to be in Schools | Teen Ink

Religion Ought to be in Schools

By winton SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
winton SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Lexi S, author of “Prayer Ought to be in Schools,” has apparently forgotten to read some very key parts of the Constitution. She says that Christianity was the very basis upon which our country was founded, and that it is what can “save” America” from its downward spiral. According to her, it is God who has helped to guide us to where we are today.

Words cannot begin to describe how much I disagree with her. The Founding Fathers clearly called for a separation of church and state, no matter what their personal beliefs may have been. If Christianity is to be instituted in school, then what is there to stop the government from going a step further? Why not force everyone to go to church? Persecute all who do not follow that religion? America was founded not on the principles of Jesus Christ, but on equality, which includes religious equality.

If you make students follow Christian prayers in school, you are casting aside all other religions. I don’t care if America is headed towards doom for not following God’s principles; it is every human’s right to choose what religion he or she wishes to practice. No one can take that away. Furthermore, why teach kids something that has no scientific backing? Can we teach them that vampires and ghosts exist too? Teach children religion on your own time, not in school where learning has to take place.

If Lexi’s ideas were to be put into practice, I have no doubt that would be the real tragedy. Keeping religion and government separate is one of the great triumphs of the Constitution; put prayer in school and who knows what is next.