Feedback on True Happiness | Teen Ink

Feedback on True Happiness

November 13, 2011
By Larisa GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Larisa GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The poem, “True Happiness,” by Yuki I is a great portrayal of the breakdown of today’s world. It makes us question if we are truly happy inside, or if we are just continuing the prejudiced ranks of wealth that has been part of our society for so many generations.

Instead of trying to acknowledge a problem through a fable or a story, Yuki tells her views through a poem. This poem immediately captures the reader’s attention, bringing the essence of the setting that the not so wealthy people have to face. It is unique, since wealth is not a prevalent topic to bring up in a poem.

Going on to talk about how the wealthy, with “bulging wallets stride past,” you can’t help but feel sympathetic for the lower class people, who do live in alleyways in the cold every day. Yuki implies that the wealthy are only interested in their life of stableness, and always dismisses their curiosity of the peripheral world in the alleyway.

The poem itself is only a few lines, but the message of the poem impacts the reader much more than that. Yuki emphasizes the fact that the simplicity of being content isn’t hard to find. It’s better to have a family or a community to control chaos and comfort you, rather than battle an internal problem alone, with nothing but money to comfort you. And that is what the definition of “true happiness” is.