"A Crash Course in Coolness | Teen Ink

"A Crash Course in Coolness

By Kristy Schroeder BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Kristy Schroeder BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In the October issue of Teen Ink, Emily Doughan wrote a completely true article called “A Crash Course in Coolness.” The author explains that when she first got her license, she thought she was on top of the world. She barely drove with a parent when she had her permit and then passed her driver’s test with ease. Unfortunately, she learned that driving isn’t a “piece of cake” when she ran into a Jeep in the YMCA parking lot. I completely agree with what the author wrote about. When I first got my license, I was so excited to drive without a parent who was constantly on my back. Although I spent countless hours in the car with my parents during the day, I hardly spent any time driving at night. The author explained in the article that she drove more miles shortly after getting her license than she ever did with her permit. I am surprised that her mother let the author get her license even though she did not have enough driving time. It probably seems hypocritical for me to say that because I did not get enough night driving in myself. Just as the author paid the price (bumping into the Jeep), I paid the price, too. One night I was driving home from youth group in the rain, and I could not see a thing. I hadn’t read the car manual as my dad had instructed, so I had no idea where the defog button was. My sister and I were trying to rub off the fog with our hands (as I was still driving), and in result I landed in the wrong turn lane. Consequently, I obviously had to turn in the wrong direction. I was lost, and I could not see a thing. Without knowing what to do, I had my sister call my dad and explain what was wrong. Of course, my dad knew how to get home from our location, but he was not happy. Later, my parents put a limit on how late I could go out for a few weeks, and I learned my lesson.