Discretions: Teens Greatest Fear | Teen Ink

Discretions: Teens Greatest Fear

By KayleeLexus BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
KayleeLexus BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

I agree with the article “Discretions: Teens Greatest Fear” by Kate B. In the article she is explaining the way teenagers use social networking sites improperly. Teenagers really do put all their personal information online. They put every little detail of their life on social networking site such as Facebook. Teenagers find satisfaction in having the approval or praise of others about their lives. Teenagers really only put the dramatic events up though, they got in a fight, ran away, or they went to a big party and drank too much. The reason they do this is to make sure everyone looks at and sees that your life is so amazing. There are those few teens that put up inspirational quotes, jokes, song lyrics, or even a simple “Today was a good day”, but there are very few of them. These people are the ones with the “real” lives to be living instead of wasting it away posting about your “fake” life and drama.

I will admit I am like the people described in this article. The feeling of approval and praise of others feels good to me. It makes me feel better to be able to show off my life, at least the interesting parts of it. I want people to think my life is fun and that I am “popular” even though I am just an average everyday teen. I don’t know why other kids and I do this to get approval, but I think it’s more of an impulse to make people angry, jealous, or amazed. Teenagers need to realize that no one cares to know about your latest drama or biggest fight. People will not be praising you but instead will be making fun of you for believing someone cares, or thinks you’re cool.