How I Changed for the Better | Teen Ink

How I Changed for the Better

October 13, 2011
By stelluh SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
stelluh SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
7 articles 1 photo 0 comments

“How I Changed For The Better” written by Jonathan D is a superbly structured piece. Writing about the topic of prevention against bullying sometimes seems so been–there-done–that. Well, picture this: you have some missing home works that you’re hoping to finish next during double period study hall, okay. Then suddenly, you’re called down for a bullying seminar that will last for the next two periods. Great, you think, there’s no time to finish the homework. That’s exactly how Jonathan felt walking down the stairs into his auditorium.
“But it wasn’t just the urgency of un-finished school work that made me reluctant to attend this assembly; the topic made me uneasy too,” he says. Most teens usually feel a little guilty around the topic of bullying. Jonathan even admits to teasing kids for humor before. Although, most of you reading this that say you’ve never bullied, humiliated or teased anyone, are liars.
The speaker of the seminar, Mr. Halligan, tragically lost his son due to suicide. He speaks to the kids about his son Ryan who dealt with bullying for an extensive period of time. Then, one night, so fed up, Ryan committed suicide. Mr. Halligan’s words shot through Jonathan like a gun, forcing him to admit to himself all the wrong–doings related to bullying he’s done. Then, at that moment he forgets about un-finished school work, his friends, his social life and realizes that these two periods --150 minutes -- have honestly changed his life.
I believe that every teen should get a chance to read this article. Maybe it’s time to start admitting to yourself and change for the better. If one person can be taught from these 150 minutes that bullying isn’t right, then 150 other people can.