Refrigerator This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every month, I eagerly await the arrival of Teen Ink. I read every issue from cover to cover – even the ads. I study the art and jot down phrases that pop out at me from the articles. I love the thrill that comes from reading original pieces by teenagers around the country and the world. Occasionally I find one I disagree with, or don't enjoy, or think could have been edited more, but never have I found one that downright upset me. That is, until I read “Refrigerator” by Brandon Yip. Although the haiku was clever, it was not original. Not only have I seen it, uncredited, all over the web, but I've also encountered it in English class and on a friend's T-shirt!

Changing the first line of a well-known poem isn't artistic license – it's plagiarism. I am very disappointed that Teen Ink allowed the piece onto its website and into its magazine. I can only hope that it was a one-time mistake that won't happen again.

CORRECTION

The poem, “Refrigerator,” in the October issue was not written by Brandon Yip. Teen Ink takes plagiarism very seriously, and though we check all published articles and poems, occasionally stolen pieces slip through. Those who are caught plagiarizing will have their work deleted from TeenInk.com, and we may call your teacher and parent. We appreciate careful readers like Ann who report plagiarism when they see it.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:04 am:
Wow, you're thorough!!

bookwormishgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Correction: My name is spelled Anne, not Ann. Thanks!

EFFibb replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm :
Hey anne....its EFFi...