"Wars Silent Hostage" by Dawn Krenn | Teen Ink

"Wars Silent Hostage" by Dawn Krenn

September 27, 2011
By Adam22222 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Adam22222 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In Dawn Krenn's article, "War's Silent Hostage" from the September 2011 issue, a teenager’s cousin was sent to Afghanistan as a Unites States soldier and she talks about how this affects her, how she feels about war, and how she views him as a soldier. After reading Dawn Krenn’s article and understanding her views and points, I found myself to agree with her on her view of war. She describes how there is no right side of war and that killing a person is never the right thing to do, especially when the same problem can be fixed peacefully and without blood shed. I find this to be true and, therefore, agree with her on this. She talks about how the experience of war changes her cousin into a person she no longer knows and how the constant worry of him not making it home has changed her. My father was in the military; however, he never saw live combat and wasn’t ever involved in a war. I once asked him if he ever thought about killing a man, and he always says the same thing every time my brother and I ask him: “No, I never thought about it, but they train you so that you can come home, and if the time comes, it’s either you go home or he goes home. I’m glad I never was in that situation and never had to make that decision; but if the time did come, I believe my training would take over, and I would do whatever it took to come home.” War is destructive for everyone, the mothers, fathers, children, soldiers, and families of soldiers, yet people still start wars and fight them.