Thoughts on Short Story | Teen Ink

Thoughts on Short Story

By brEEzyBri BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
brEEzyBri BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Music speaks what cannot be put into words"

In “An Unexpected Outcome” by “Teresa” in the September 2011 issue, a girl’s mother is addicted to alcohol and heroin. They both get kicked out of the grandmother’s house and are homeless. The mom cares more about drugs and alcohol and fully stops taking care of her daughter. She goes to school by choice because her mother doesn’t make her. One day she realizes that she doesn’t want to live that way anymore, and she goes to the school counselor then makes something of her life in the future. I could never relate to anything in this story but the story, had many details, which had tons of emotion. I do understand what the girl was going through even though I have never actually been through it myself. The girl moves in with her grandmother and then gets a job. Her bosses help her make the softball team. At the end she tells that she is getting ready to go to Louisiana State University with a softball scholarship. She really does have something she could do, and she does have good people in her life.