Feedback on 50 Reasons to Live | Teen Ink

Feedback on 50 Reasons to Live MAG

September 29, 2011
By Liz.P GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Liz.P GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“50 Reasons to Live” by “Karen” is one of the more inspirational articles in the September issue. Battling depression, she sits down to write a suicide note. When the words won't flow, she decides instead to write a list of reasons to live. After making this list, she seeks help at her new school, which is difficult since the guidance counselor in her previous school kicked her out instead of offering her a shoulder to lean on.

“They saved me. They changed me,” she says about the teachers she goes to for help. Her failed suicide note turned into something positive, something life-saving.

I think every teenager should read this article, especially if they're feeling down or dealing with depression. The article makes hope something tangible and molds inspiration into words. It gives 50 solid, honest, funny reasons to keep living even when life takes a turn for the worst.

“Karen” proves that recovery is possible, that everything is worth it in the end. I agree; no matter how bad things seem, they won't stay that way forever. Even if you believe you have 20 reasons to die, you should always have at least 50 reasons to live.