It's Not Your Fault

After reading “It’s Not Your Fault” by Sandra R, it really gave me a better understanding of sexual harassment. Sandra wrote about her personal experience of sexual harassment. A man started stalking her; following her to school; plus he knew where she lived. She never spoke up about it, hoping he would go away. One day however, after he threatened her about rape, she told her counselor right away and got him arrested.

I have read about rape in newspapers and on the Internet, but I am shocked that it could happen to somebody so young. I was very proud of how she dealt with it. Many ordinary people would have ignored the rapist, but not Sandra. She spoke up, and at the end, she said “Now I know that it’s not what the girl wears, but something that’s wrong with the perpetrator.” Some people think that girls trigger rape, and that it all comes down to what they’re wearing. Sandra said she wore baggy pants when the guy threatened her, but she thought “no, it’s not my fault.” She was absolutely right.