What's The Point of Critique? This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

To whom it may concern,
There are many aspects of Teen Ink that I cherish. For example, I enjoy reading the brilliant submissions that are promoted on the site. I appreciate being able to write about anything that is on my mind, and getting feedback from like-minded individuals. I also love giving critique to writers who need it, and I enjoy getting feedback on my writing in return. There’s only one problem. What is the point of giving critique to users if the writers can’t actually utilize it?

I get lots of wonderful critique on my writing, and yet I am unable to do anything with the feedback, besides deleting the piece and resubmitting it with the revisions. Then I would have to wait several weeks before it goes online, and when that happens, I would have to start all over in the process of getting people to read, comment, and rate the piece. This is quite an inconvenience and a hassle, but a hassle that I feel could be avoided with a simple change to the site.

I have a suggestion that would help improve the quality of work on the entire Teen Ink site, and make critiquing a much more meaningful experience to everybody involved. My idea is to simply add an edit button to each article in a writer’s inventory. This would enable users to quickly correct misspelled words, fix grammar and punctuation errors, and expand on the piece. To lighten the load on the editors, a program could be employed to detect whether the edit only involved simple spelling changes and such, and if so, the piece could be instantly changed without having to go through an approval process. A language filter could be used to ensure that all work is free of any and all profanity, and thusly Teen Ink would be able to stay a safe and clean environment for budding writers.

Only if a piece of writing was edited in a more complex manner, for example if a new paragraph was added, or if several sentences were replaced, would an editor have to check the writing to make sure it is safe and appropriate. In this manner, critiques such as “expand upon your ideas further” could be listened to and instigated.

This is my suggestion to improve upon an already splendid site that has changed the lives of teen writers from all over the world. If my ideas are realized, I am sure that Teen Ink will find a fresh surge of creativity and happiness to everybody involved in the editing process. In this way, the quality of work would improve manifold, and Teen Ink would continue to be a very special place for young writers everywhere.
Yours truly,
Julian Mullins

ChocoMint said...
Totally agree!!!!!!  That would be so helpful.  Thanks for your awareness!  <><

Steph0804 said...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 12:40 am:
Yes! Yes! Yes! Also, there's a problem with the formatting; whenever I write " it comes out as &quote...

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm :
Yes! That's happened to me a lot too! And I've seen that it's happened to many others as well. Another reason why editing would be so helpful!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i completely agree! i have a lot of spelling mistakes in one of my stories! 

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 11:27 am:
this is a really good idea. i hope they put this into effect :) i know that if you e-mail teenink directly, they usually answer those within a few dayss. you could try asking them for this that way, and you might have a better chance of getting a responsee. good luck!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm :

Good idea.

Julian: you should do that! I would, but it would carry more weight from you, since you also wrote this letter.

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderful! Both a great idea and it was very well worded: polite yet convincing. You've got me wanted an edit button now....it was a fantastic piece and hopefully this gets enough attention to make the change!

hood3243This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Great job! This would really improve teenink and you wrote it very well too. I like how you were able to point out the problems without sounding like you were being mean. Overall, I think you did a fantastic job!

SecretFlame said...
This was gorgeous! I loved the article and completely agree. (you might want to change the title, it makes this sound like something different than it is). I totally think that teen ink could benefit from this!

Sept. 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm :
Thanks for the comment! And I might change the title, if I could do so!!! But i'd have to resubmit it and stuff. Hence the article!

SecretFlame replied...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
Sure, I know. :)

SecretFlame replied...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
Sure, I know.            

CarrieAnn13 said...
Great article, Julian!  I wish Teen Ink would really listen to this and let us edit our work.  Inkpop lets people edit their work!  This was a great persuasive article and I hope one day we can edit our work.  Thank you for posting this! :)

Sept. 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm :
You're welcome! I think we all could benefit from this change. Now we just have to convince the editors!