AP Classes: Worth the Sacrifice

In response to “AP Classes: Worth It?” I must say that they are. I myself am a sophomore enrolled in three AP classes, going to one of the most highly regarded public high schools in the country. It’s true, my friends and I are sleep-deprived. We wake up at 5:00 am every morning to get to zero period class. We study for what seems like a never ending stream of tests, and work in the late hours of the morning finishing projects. It is really worth it?

Most students would argue that it’s not. They would rather participate in sports, and extracurricular activities, or would just rather not have all that stress and have downtime afterschool. We’re teenagers, I get it, and I understand the need to hang out with friends. But for the few of us who dream of going to a prestigious university, we’re willing to make the sacrifice.

We live up to the true meaning of a student, someone who is willing to learn and dedicate their time to school. My best friends and I don’t hang out on the weekends as often as we would like. The majority of our weekends are spent trying to keep up with the staggering amount of work that is continually added to. Why would we torment ourselves willingly like this? Because taking an AP class shouldn’t just be for the college credit. If you can save yourself some classes at college, that’s a wonderful reward for all of your hard work. But that’s not why you should take it.

You may not be granted the credit for your AP class. Then what, you say, was the point of taking it? To learn. While not everyone’s teachers are like this, mine make the effort to teach the subject, not the test. The environment is student-friendly, and it’s okay if you are a nerd who strives for straight A’s. Teaching to the test, is in my eyes, destroying the whole point of going to school. If all you’re doing is memorizing answers to a test, did you really learn anything? So when I decided to take all of these classes, it’s because I wouldn’t be happy in a lower class. I enjoy mentally challenging myself with interesting courses, which is exactly what an AP class offers me. I didn’t take them for the credit; I took them for the pure enjoyment of intellectually advancing myself.

To say that we are not capable of learning a college level class in the time given us, is insulting. We are underestimated in our conviction that we will succeed in everything we attempt, and underestimated in the level of our intelligence. Who are you to tell us that we cannot achieve our goals because they are too high and unrealistic? How can we realize our full potential is if we are not allowed to try? We are striving for our “virtu”, in the words of Italian Humanists. How can America pull ahead of other countries in education, if America does not believe in her students? So challenge us we say, challenge us with the hardest classes you dare give us, be it AP, IB, etc., and we will proudly seize the day.

Aderes47 said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm:

So proud of you! :)

How are they all going, by the way?

I'm just a freshie- so no AP classes now, all honors though. 

My junior year, APUSH! And senior year, AP psychology, AP Calculus, Ap Literature and AP Biology. 

I also go to one of the best public high schools in the country. :) 

I feel the same way, I just want to be challenged! 

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:18 pm :

Yeah, Ok. My sister's nothing like me, you, raven or stargirl. She makes fun of our relationship, she thinks it's stupid. :(What do sisters know?

I'm too selfish to do things like that, I like my abercrombie and fitch clothes, I take hour and a half long showers, my family eats very healthy but for lunch I eat cafeteria food. I'm a selfish tree-hugger. I recycle though. :)

I actually don't really know what I want to be yet. I might actually want to be a psychologist. :)

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm :
Your sister disapproves of online teenage friends?  ROFLZ.  It does sound pretty stupid when you say it like that.  But we get along and we have stuff in common ;)  I miss Raven though.  I have to admit, that was the coolest nickname.  It reminded me of Edgar Allen Poe.

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm :
My sister makes fun of me and everything I do. But when the time comes, she's very supportive. Hmm. Agreed. :)

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm :

I'm thinking of taking APUSH next year! :)

What's IB? How does your school work?

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 7:11 pm :
International Baccalaureate, it's a more humanties based program but has a math and science side as well if you are interested.  It's a highly intensive program extending from your junior year to senior year.  IB classes are similar to AP classes in the sense that if you take the test, it counts for college credit, except on an international scale.  If you complete full-IB and not just partial, you recieve an IB diploma.  It's a pretty good way to get yourself into a prestigi... (more »)

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:05 am :

That's so cool! Wish my school had something like that...

We just have honors classes and APs.

I was thinking of doing APUSH sophomore year instead of junior year, then decided against it because I needed an elective to cool me off after all of the math and languages I'm thinking to take. :)

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm :
LOL, math BLEH.  I really like history so I'm excited to take APUSH.  But the class I'm most excited for I think I've told you already. PHILOSOPHY.  XD That's going to be so much FUN...

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 9:04 am :

The only reason I am doubing up in math is because if I don't, I'll only have math for half of the year due to the semester scedule and then I'll forget all of it.

Philosophy? Gasps in Jealously.

We don't have that class at my school! And I thought my school had everything...

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm :
ROFLZ.  It's only open to sutdents pursuing a full IB diploma at my school.  The funny thing is, they keep grilling us about how hard Philisophy class is, and I'm just like, this is my thing.  This is what I LIKE learning about.

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm :
I know! Same thing I hear about APUSH!

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm :
I mean, same way I feel about APUSH! History is my thing! :)

savetheplanet replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm :
For senior year I think I'll be taking Government and Econ as well as a History of America class.  I'm not all the sure about it yet though.  The IB program is all weird though, the rules changed this year and it screwed up my schedule.  I'm not happy about it... D:<

Aderes47 replied...
Mar. 31, 2012 at 8:15 pm :
Cool! My school has lots of cool electives you can take like Journalism and Consitutional law but I'm taking APs instead so...

savetheplanet replied...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 12:14 am :
I just picked up the foreign exchange student that I'm going to host for a few days.  She's great!  She's from Guadeloupe, it's part of France.  Our conversations are hilarious each of us trying to figure out what the other is saying.

Aderes47 replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 9:30 am :

That always happens with me and my aunt. My aunt lives in France and speaks a little bit of English, but mostly French, Arabic and the Algerian dialect.

I know the basics of the Algerian dialect, a bit of French, a bit of Arabic and English.

It's SO funny because the way we talk to talk to each other- one sentence can be literally in four different languages. It makes sense to only my family! :)

savetheplanet replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm :
ROFLZ, that's so cool!  I wish I knew four languages.... D:  Anyway, I had the greatest time with her.  The crazy thing is, I've been speaking French so often with her that now my English has a French accent!  It's so weird!

Aderes47 replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm :
I don't know four languages- I just have rudimentary French, Arabic and the Algerian dialect. It's very simple. Things like: Can I get juice? 

savetheplanet replied...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm :
Oh, I see.  But still, that's pretty cool you have to admit.  You have the basics to become a linguist! :)

Annette11 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really agree with the article and like how you expressed your opinion, thanks for the good read!

savetheplanet replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm :
Thanks and I'm glad you like school too. :)