Where Are the Boy Writers? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Since 1989 Teen Ink has been a place for teens to share their experiences, voice their triumphs, and convey their failures. But it may not be all it seems to be, because almost 90 percent of Teen Ink is written by girls.

I first noticed this when reading last February's issue. I noticed the first author was female, and as I continued reading that section I found that almost all of the authors were female. This alarmed me. I thought this trend rather strange because according to the U.S. government, the proportion of male to female teenagers in the world is almost even, yet Teen Ink is mostly female.

How can a magazine possibly supply teens worldwide with a literary outlet while almost excluding an entire gender? In short, it can't. And if Teen Ink continues this trend, I would suggest you change your name to Girls Ink.

P.S. By not publishing this letter you would be proving my argument.

Canadotas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Don't fret! You aren't alone! I'm a guy and I love writing, and I'm definitely not embarassed by that as other guys may be.

BloglessBlogger said...

Us girls may just have been shunned for all time and found a way to show our power. Boys have gotten lazy because they have always been in charge and our allowing girls to sneak in through the front door and take their shine. Maybe you boys should try and do something that could help the world.

Is that the response that you were hoping  girl would give you?

CJ2014 said...
I don't think it is as much about being in favor of girls, but instead the fact that girls seem to have more interest in writing and put more effort into producing solid works.

Nick5 said...
HaHa yes! Noticing a lot of the pronoun "he" in the Love/Reletionships section. A lot less "she".

sunshine04 said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 2:41 am
well guys write but i dont think that they dont submit  as there preferences are different but i have noticed that in chicken soup for teenage soul the book there i found a lot of stories by guys

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is an interesting argument and now that you mention it, I have noticed that too. I agree with you that more guys should write but I also agree with all the people who have posted comments about guys not being likely to write about their "feelings" and being more active and doing things like sports. More guys should be writers and it is good that you are standing up for this issue. I also think you should read articles by dxrider27. He is a guy and has really good articles on here. Great job... (more »)

JoPepper said...
I don't wan't this to seem sterotypic but some guys don't want to be caught putting all their emotions on paper for others to see, they might think people will give them cr.ap for it. But I think that there being more girls on this website is a coincidence most  likely.

BreakMyEmotions replied...

Well, if guys like to write, they can still go on TeenInk; there's always the anonymous option. :)

Maybe more girls just happen to join TeenInk; therefore, more of girls' articles and art pieces will end up in the magazine. I don't think that the editors and staff members really notice or care what gender the artist or author is purely because it doesn't matter as long as the writing/art has a high quality.

*shrugs* I don't really know. Just an opinion. :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm a guy, and I love to write! I submit to TeenInk all the time, but I have noticed that there are WAY more girls than boys on the site. What's up with that? anyway, congratulations on getting your letter published! I have a letter that I'm going to submit as well, so we'll see what happens. Maybe a girl will get published instead! haha, lol

little-miss-mistakes said...
they aren excluding guy writers for a reasomn, has it ever occured to you that most guys dont spend their time writing and reading on a lit. website. I thouroughly believe that more guys shold write because I think it is a great and constructive hobby, but it really isnt hard to believe that most dont? You said it yourself, there are mostly girl writers, that means more of the published writing will be by girls.... its a persons choice to post on here, instead of complaining about it to us, try ... (more »)

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 5:01 am
Well, there are male writers. Only, more ggirls write than boys. Boys prefer to do something actiave and it's not like them to... you know, write bout their 'feelings'. Anyway, there are published male authors and there are male in TI.