Giving Credit Where It's Due This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Amelia Brownstein's review of The King's Speech was an example of the common misconception that filmmaking involves only directors and actors. Amelia, like most people, chose not to acknowledge the screenwriter, film editor, and cinematographer of the film (among many others), who, respectively, came up with the entire story and all the dialogue; assembled all the shots into a coherent piece with good pacing and thematic connection; and was in charge of the lighting, angles, and overall look and feel of the film. No film could be made without these crucial people. The director is far from the only person behind the camera.

Statements such as "Director Tom Hooper made good decisions about the timing of the movie and what to emphasize" exemplify this ignorance of the involvement of numerous talented people. Writing that "The lengthy scene with the king's brother was another fantastic director's choice" is especially an affront to screenwriter David Seidler. It was he who wrote this scene and came up with the idea of putting Bertie's life onscreen; it was a labor of love, stemming from his own experiences of stuttering as a child. He literally spent decades researching and writing the script, even through his fight with cancer.

Therefore, I ask that you give credit where it's due, recognizing and appreciating the efforts and talents of all those involved to bring a wonderful piece of entertainment and art to you.