Time for “The Talk” This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As a 13-year-old girl in this day and age, “Time for ‘The Talk’” by Keilah Sullivan immediately grabbed my attention. I had been expecting the usual lecture on abstinence; boy, was I surprised.

Rather than recount her experiences with sex, the author gave examples of the concept of sex in everyday life. She also referred to the day she learned the mystery of life – the day of “The Talk.” I found her message interesting and funny.

I have to say that I agree with Keilah that our society is too fascinated with sex. It’s hard to find a song today that doesn’t refer
to it in some way, or a magazine without an article about it, or a teenager without it on his or her mind.

The last fact Keilah cites is telling: ­Seventy percent of girls who have had sex wish they had waited (the amount for guys is almost the same). What they didn’t understand is best stated by Keilah: “It’s much harder and more meaningful to prove love through abstinence.”

I congratulate Keilah on her piece and her uncanny ability to make me laugh, as well as (hopefully) change teens’ minds about sex.