Crazy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“I want to be crazy.”

This is the first line of the short piece called “Crazy” by Madeline White. In it, she talks about all of the tasks she would like to do. She wants to go around all night giving out socks to the homeless. She wants to stick Post-it notes on public mirrors telling people they are beautiful. She wants to show the goths and emos the sunlight in their lives. She wants to buy a random, sad-looking ­person some ice cream. She wants to give a struggling single mom a makeover. She wants to show love to a cranky old man. “I want to make a fool of myself, just for the smiles of others. I want to be crazy like that. Completely. Utterly. Insane,” she writes.

The moment I read the first line, I wanted to read more. The way Madeline says, “I want to be crazy” in the same way someone would say “I want to be happy” or “I want to be an architect” is unique and captivating. I was truly moved by everything Madeline wants to do for others; she is selfless and compassionate.

As I read the rest, I found myself smiling and agreeing; I wanted to do those things too. What she wants to do are small things we can all do. We can smile at strangers and compliment someone nobody notices. We can pay for the guy behind us at McDonald’s and salute the soldier as he walks past. Sometimes, it’s the little things that brighten the day.

When I finished reading, I wondered why we have to be considered crazy to do these little things that we all should do. Why does being friendly and considerate of neighbors mean being crazy? I think that just one thoughtful act from each of us every day could make a difference in the quality of our lives. So, starting today, I will do one caring act each day.

writingrocks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, Carmen, you are published in this week's issue! Congrats... a couple of other people also got published and so did Amy Z. and Michelle! I hope you know who I am! My initials are IK!