If I’d Never Met You This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“If I’d Never Met You” by Sam Smith is one of the most original pieces you have ever published. It’s mysterious and darkly funny; I loved it. The story is bits of dialogue between two soldiers. That’s all I can gather. These soldiers are never even given names, but the constant dialogue more than makes up for these missing details. Their stark, honest voices give the two characters more personality and realism than I would have expected when I first began the story.

The characters come to life. We never find out what war they are fighting in, only that they are on opposing sides. However, this gives our unnamed characters more impact.

“Anything new?”

“I hear our leaders are going to sign a peace treaty.”

“I heard that last year.”

“Never hurts to hope.”

“Yes, it does.”

Sam’s narrative of war could date all the way back to the Civil War as well as portray our struggles in Iraq today.

“‘Oftentimes I wish I’d never met you.’ ‘Often times I’d agree.’” Leaving us with a line like this makes you think about those who fight in our wars and how they feel. In short, this is a clever, original piece that also does something important: makes you think. Its style may be a bit of an acquired taste as opposed to simple prose, but this was definitely my favorite article in the March issue, and it’s one everyone should read.