Codependent Women | Teen Ink

Codependent Women

March 1, 2011
By Anonymous

Girls want guys to be understanding without being too girly. Follow? Girls want what never was, is no, and never will be. Does this sound rational to you?

Guys, picture this scenario: you are driving down the street with your girlfriend after a fun party. You two are laughing at a funny inside joke when all of a sudden your girlfriend turns to you and says, “Are you thirsty?”

To a guy, this means “Are you thirsty?” But to a girls it means “I am thirsty. I would like to go and get a drink. But I don’t want to tell you plainly because I want you to love me so much that you understand my emotions and know what I want without me telling you.”

Guys need to admit it, and girls need to face it: Guys are emotionally challenged.

For most guys, a phrase such as “Are you thirsty” means exactly what it says, and we cannot recognize what it really is saying and get to the nearest Maverik for a drink before you girls dump us.

If girls want something, they need to let us know exactly what it is so we can get it for them before they leave us on the street scratching our heads and wondering why they left.

Just the other day my mom and I were pulling up our driveway. As the garbage can came into view my mom said, “Tim, it’s garbage day tomorrow.”

The next day when she got home from work, she got mad at me because I didn’t take out the trash after she “asked me to.”

“When I say ‘it’s garbage day tomorrow’ what does that mean to you?” she asked.

“I thought it was just something you thought was worth sharing,” I replied calmly.

“No! I meant for you to take out the trash today!” she told me, quite annoyed.

“Well, next time just tell me what you want, don’t make a statement and expect me to understand it all the time.”

So girls, you desperately need to realize this emotional challenge of the male gender. Just making a statement about what you want is not always going to be enough. If you want something, tell us word for word what it is, and then it will happen.

If you don’t come to the realization that guys take things literally, you probably won’t be getting what you want that fast, or you’ll have to get it alone. It sounds harsh, but it’s true.