Cute & Cuddly Versus Creepy Crawly | Teen Ink

Cute & Cuddly Versus Creepy Crawly MAG

By angelasunx3 GOLD, New York, New York
angelasunx3 GOLD, New York, New York

As I flipped through the pages of the November issue, I found myself struck by a particular article written by Emily L. called “Cute & Cuddly Versus Creepy Crawly.” The piece revolves around a question: what’s so different about eating dog versus beef? Although the answer may sound simple, it really isn’t. It makes me wonder just how much my life revolves around society. As Emily asks, has society really “idolized the cute”? In my opinion, it has.

A fine example would be the cuddly little hamster sleeping in my house right now. Just a few days ago, a rat was seen scurrying across our kitchen floor. Suddenly, it was, “Get the traps! Kill it!” But if it were a hamster waddling along the floor, it would be, “Aw, look at that little cutie.” Rats and hamsters are both rodents, after all, and look fairly similar, except for the obvious fact – a hamster is cuter. So this brings me back to the question, has society idolized the cute? As Emily points out, it has, but we can change that.

I love that this piece is written in a humorous yet serious tone. I think Emily really makes her point when she questions the difference between a chef and a criminal and then suggests that the difference lies in how cute and cuddly an animal is.

Even though I would never eat a puppy or a kitten, I agree with Emily and feel it is ridiculous that our society favors the cute. I also agree that we have the power to turn this mindset around. We’re part of a community, and we can stand together to make a difference.