Sexism in Fantasyland This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In November's issue, “Sexism in Fantasyland” by Maegan S. incorrectly depicts Hans Christian Andersen's “The Little Mermaid.” Maegan states, “The story ends just as the star-struck mermaid wants. The evil sea witch is defeated, Ariel's voice is restored, and the prince is hers.” In contrast, Andersen's tale instead says: “‘We have given our hair to the witch,' said they, ‘to obtain help for you, that you may not die tonight. She has given us a knife: here it is, see it is very sharp. Before the sun rises you must plunge it into the heart of the prince; when the warm blood falls upon your feet they will grow together again, and form into a fish's tail, and you will be once more a mermaid, and return to us to live out your three hundred years before you die and change into the salt sea foam. Haste, then; he or you must die before sunrise.'”

Maegan misrepresents Andersen's tale of lust and sacrifice, in which Ariel gives her life to spare the prince. Although Disney movies have adjusted the century-old tales of distressed princesses to fit the ideals of today, the originals remain just as bloody and abhorrent as ever.