Drinking Laws This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I strongly disagree with “Drinking Laws” by Lianne H. Increasing the drinking age in America is not going to stop underage people from drinking. As Lianne states, there will always those who will buy alcohol for minors. Therefore, adults need to be sent the message that providing alcohol to young people is a serious offense and prison time will result.

A strong message also needs to be sent to teens that drinking is not cool; binge drinking and driving under the influence can have deadly consequences. Alcohol consumption should be more closely monitored and controlled, as the article asserts, but increasing the drinking age is not the answer. Changing the mindset of adults should be the primary goal. Alcohol is a serious danger for all, and it needs to be treated that way.