Today | Teen Ink

Today MAG

February 1, 2011
By smilingtothesun BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
smilingtothesun BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
3 articles 6 photos 3 comments

“I am history in the making and no one knows but me.” These are the last lines of the poem “Today” by Chelsea Panos. She speaks of what her day was like doing good: she held doors for people, gave directions to a mother, respected her teachers, and did many things for the good of others. And she received nothing in return, not even a simple thank you.

This doesn't bother her, though. Chelsea knows that she's making a difference in the lives of others; she might even be making a difference in the world. To make a difference doesn't mean that you need to get a big reward or be acknowledged by those you help. As long as you know that you did a good thing, nothing else should matter.

Reading Chelsea's poem made me feel better. I have been in situations where I tried my hardest and the person I helped or made a difference for didn't even say thank you. I know not to expect anything in return when doing something nice for another, but I also know that showing somebody you appreciate what they've done is polite, so I always get a little thrown off when somebody doesn't show a sign of appreciation.

Reading this poem taught me that not everybody will acknowledge or even recognize what you have done, but that doesn't matter. You should be happy that you helped someone. Chelsea knows she's made a difference, and she doesn't ask for anything in return. She is an example for us all to follow.