Alzheimer’s and My Dad This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Alzheimer's and My Dad” is written by Gabi Reyes-Acosta, who lost her father to Alzheimer's disease. Her dad loved to read, and he “defied the stereotype of a Hispanic man living in Los Angeles.” She watched him move into a nursing home, then watched him lose his life.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's as well, and I cannot remember her not being forgetful. I never knew my grandmother – that's how I think of it. My family refuses to put her in a nursing home, because that would mean just sticking her in a room and giving her medication. We couldn't see her like that.

Like Gabi, I have watched a loved one get worse and worse, from forgetting to turn off the oven to not knowing how to use a fork. I know very soon the time will come for my grandmother. I'm preparing myself for the worst. Her story will end with Alzheimer's, but as Gabi wrote, “I know it is really about so much more.”