Cancer Never Had Me | Teen Ink

Cancer Never Had Me MAG

By lexi239 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
lexi239 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

This is my first time reading Teen Ink and I was blown away by the quality of the writing, made all the more incredible because it is entirely by people my age. Although most of the pieces were amazing, I was particularly struck by Emily Ransom’s poem, “Cancer Never Had Me,” about a girl struggling to accept the fact that she has leukemia.

The poem, written in a blunt but poignant voice, describes her initial denial and finally her acceptance of the fact that she is fighting for her life. She voices how she wishes that things had been different between her and her friends and family, and how she “wasn’t ready to give up my life because I had so much more I wanted to accomplish.”

This girl’s struggle with leukemia is truly inspirational, how she continued fighting, not letting the disease win. I love the way it is a poem, a shift from the usual form of narrative. All the sad details including “nausea took over my body each morning” and “I was a cancer patient, mutated cells were destroying my body,” really made my heart ache for her. By the end, I wanted to cry at the hardships she faced, but I also felt like hugging her and telling her that she was so strong and brave and that it was going to be all right.

RB701 said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 3:17 pm
RB701, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I love this,too. I have experienced my grandmother passing. She had bad lungs, and yet like this girl, she never gave up until the end. She showed all of us the she was not let this beat her down, and we shouldn't either. I don't know if i could be this strong. I guess i would have to have a test like this, and try to pass it like this girl and my grandmother did.

AMW710 said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 2:57 pm
AMW710, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I love this topic;cancer is the number one disease in America. This reminds me of my aunt. She died of cancer, but she didn't let the cancer stop her from doing what she wanted to do. This also reminds me of life, no matter how far life takes you don't give up.