Paper or Plastic? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As I was reading “Paper or Plastic?” I thought that there must be an alternative to the use of plastic bottles for drinks since plastics are filling up our landfills. Also, recent news has reported that plastics used for water bottles contain bisphenol-a (BPA). According to The New York Times, BPA is a potentially toxic chemical. The Department of Health and Human Services endorsed a study that showed BPA caused neural and behavioral changes.

Because of the effect that plastics have on the environment, I have been reusing disposable water bottles and Nalgene bottles. I am sure that many are in the same predicament. I believe that glass bottles should be used for soda and drinking water.

First off, glass bottles are made once and then can be reused. That will cut back on the production of bottles and the amount of waste going into landfills, as well as eliminate the problem of BPA. The consumer can also benefit from glass bottles by returning them to the store for 5 or 10 cents each.

Arguments against glass include the monetary and environmental costs to transport and sanitize the bottles. Every day new machinery is being made to conserve more energy and water, and propane and natural gas are being used in more vehicles, I believe that these new processes could reduce the overall effect that the bottling industry is having on people and the environment. Using glass bottles will cut the amount of waste going to landfills while providing the consumer with a toxin-free bottle and money for returning it.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

SaddleShoeGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree fully and completely with you! Actually, my parents and I were having a conversation about this exact subject last night!