Nothing | Teen Ink

Nothing MAG

By ellie reagan BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
ellie reagan BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

“Nothing” by Kalliope Carson is a funny story about how most of us have big plans for our summer and then end up doing nothing. Sometimes doing nothing is the best activity we can do.

This story is sort of a metaphor for life; sure you plan to do a lot, but plans are just that – plans, ideas. They have no substance or reality until you follow through and make them real. Sometimes life isn't about filling up your time with “fantastic firsts” but stepping back and watching. Just doing nothing can be great and give you real perspective on life. Kalliope shows this in her narrative.

on Oct. 28 2010 at 1:35 pm
513rjs513 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I can relate to that also. Jfw514 said at times he/she feels like life is passing him/her by. I can always say, I feel that way all of the time. If i'm at home on a Friday or Saturday, I will most likely use that quote. I have also learned that life isn't always about fantastic firsts. That you have to sit back and watch sometimes. I guess you can say i'm a road runner. I always look at others and see how they're always doing something, and I want to do the same.

Jfw514 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 12:35 pm
Jfw514 BRONZE, Addis, Louisiana

"You can close your eyes from things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart from things you don't want to feel."

I can relate. I always feel as if my life may be passing me by. Especially during summer. I compare myself to doing "nothing" with someone who seems to have a more interesting life. I always plan a list of events that never happen. When summer seems to be getting better, I notice school is right around the corner.