Ditch That Black-and-White TV This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I read an article in the Points of View section called “Ditch That Black-and-White TV” that discussed how many TV shows still depict American families with only white couples or black couples, instead of interracial ones.

Honestly, while I agree, I think the main reason this exists is because it is still thought of as American. When you think of a typical American family, if you're honest, you ­usually picture a single-race family. But that isn't the reality. Today in America the number of interracial families is growing.

Did you know this very issue was dealt with back in the '70s? Ever hear of a show called “The Jeffersons”? Their best friends were an interracial couple.

Another example is “Boy Meets World.” In later seasons, Shawn's long-time girlfriend was black. In the Disney show “Wizards of Waverly Place,” the dad is white and the mom is Latino. On the “Amazing Race,” an interracial couple competed in order to show her family that she, a black woman, marrying a white man was fine.

I believe this issue is in the media a lot more than some realize. Still, many interracial couples are portrayed as dating, not ­married.

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 6:56 am
I think it would be cool to be interracial children. :)))

dnm509 said...
I feel that if you are of a different race then your girlfriend or boyfriend I will respect your choice. No one in this world can chose for you who you like or who you can love. So it is all about what you feel inside.

BlackHoleHighAlumni This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Just to clarify I'm ttly ok with interracial relationships.

513rjs513 said...
I feel the exact same way! I thought I was the only one who noticed that on television. I am an African American,and I prefer dating the other races. I am not racist.  I prefer foreign blood. I also agree that they should put more interracial couples on television. Television is a national thing, and they could use that to show people about interracial couples. Interracial couples make beautiful babies, and I couldn't agree more on the topic.

Thank you for the comment! I completely agree about how cute interracial babies are! They are adorable!! :)

VAL508 said...
 I find that is often found true. However everyone should be allowed to be with whatever race they want. This is America, and we are a free country. Many say that this is wrong, but  it should not be. God says we should all be brothers and sisters and people that do not agree should take moment and rethink what they are saying.  They should rethink how they feel if they are church goers. Also the news and tv should also stop bringing it up as much.  

Just to clarify I'm ttly ok with interracial relationships. I have nothing against them. I'm kinda confused about your comment, so I wanted to clarify my point. :)

JRA401 said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:53 am
As long as we are happy with the relationship we are in, it shouldn't matter what the media or others may think. I will say that commercials often have all "white" people with maybe one "black" person, now that is what should be talked about. Even when movies are scary and there are all "white" people and the "black" person always dies first. I have seen this happen plenty of times, and I knew what was going to happen. I agree there should be a end to "Ditch That Black-and-white TV," and the med... (more »)

JTJ411 said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:45 am
This is true. Where I live there are few interracial couples, but when I travled to Florida, I saw at least ten walking along the streets. I think that we as americans are stuck in that semi-racist mindframe, meaning we have no problems with a person from another race, but when they are involved with a person with a different race it all seems wrong. I have a cousin who married a caucasian woman, and he has two children. Both of the families love the kids, but I know some of the family members a... (more »)