teens need their privacy | Teen Ink

teens need their privacy

April 12, 2010
By Marisol Delgado BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Marisol Delgado BRONZE, Bronx, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear parents,




Teens need their privacy!!

Teens want to be an independent person, they want space to breathe, and they want privacy! Parents you need to pop the bubble, cut the cord, their grown up already. Pretty soon they would be leaving the house. Some parents might say my kid always daydream, how am I, as a parent suppose to send him/her out into the world. Well let me tell you, teens daydream to get away. They might have very little privacy or none at all, so daydreaming is like their ticket to getting away from the world.

I have to admit kids get a little greedy with their freedom (I’ve been there and not going back) but not all kids are like that, but if some are they would learn from it and grow. But what if they made a mistake and you as a parent try to fix it? Answer me that and think about what you said. (But if it’s a big problem then parents step in) right now you’re probably thinking what does this do with my teen’s privacy? Well, it has to do a lot with it. All the family sites that say why should I give my teen privacy? Well parents you have privacy right? You have the right to go lock yourself in your room for a while and relax and unwind from the day, why can’t teens? Why do they have to be treated so differently?

Well parents if you don’t pop the bubble, cut the cord, untie the leash, or whatever expression you prefer, I suggest you keep some extra money in the bank because you will see stealing, pregnancy and a whole lot of post bail bills. I know it’s your job to protect your child, keep them from harm and I’m not trying to stop you but if you keep them on a tight leash like you may be doing now then expect to go baby shopping, or wondering where your wallet is, or even thinking what did I do so wrong? After that happened how can you trust your child after all the lying and the stealing, well get up and smell the coffee. They were violated maybe one of the most important thing in their life, their privacy.

These statistics show that 160 teen’s runaway A DAY. That can easily be your teen; even pregnancy can be one to. Even more statistics say that every seven kids between the ages of 10-18 will runaway due to their violation of privacy and other things. 1 to 3 million teens are on the street and rather stay there then go back and have their privacy disrespected. Now this is not just them locking themselves in their room but if there out hanging out, and permission was granted call maybe 2 or 3 times to make sure their safe but don’t start calling 50 times, maybe their at a movie and they can’t talk.( That is maybe one of the greatest examples I know of.)

Teens need emotional and physical space once in a while but it’s not just from their siblings but they also need it from their parents too. And parents you should respect that. Now this essay might not be the greatest one you ever read or you don’t believe in it, but as a teen myself but I believe in what I wrote and stand by it and maybe other teens and adults also stand by it.