teens need their privacy

Dear parents,

Teens need their privacy!!

Teens want to be an independent person, they want space to breathe, and they want privacy! Parents you need to pop the bubble, cut the cord, their grown up already. Pretty soon they would be leaving the house. Some parents might say my kid always daydream, how am I, as a parent suppose to send him/her out into the world. Well let me tell you, teens daydream to get away. They might have very little privacy or none at all, so daydreaming is like their ticket to getting away from the world.

I have to admit kids get a little greedy with their freedom (I’ve been there and not going back) but not all kids are like that, but if some are they would learn from it and grow. But what if they made a mistake and you as a parent try to fix it? Answer me that and think about what you said. (But if it’s a big problem then parents step in) right now you’re probably thinking what does this do with my teen’s privacy? Well, it has to do a lot with it. All the family sites that say why should I give my teen privacy? Well parents you have privacy right? You have the right to go lock yourself in your room for a while and relax and unwind from the day, why can’t teens? Why do they have to be treated so differently?

Well parents if you don’t pop the bubble, cut the cord, untie the leash, or whatever expression you prefer, I suggest you keep some extra money in the bank because you will see stealing, pregnancy and a whole lot of post bail bills. I know it’s your job to protect your child, keep them from harm and I’m not trying to stop you but if you keep them on a tight leash like you may be doing now then expect to go baby shopping, or wondering where your wallet is, or even thinking what did I do so wrong? After that happened how can you trust your child after all the lying and the stealing, well get up and smell the coffee. They were violated maybe one of the most important thing in their life, their privacy.

These statistics show that 160 teen’s runaway A DAY. That can easily be your teen; even pregnancy can be one to. Even more statistics say that every seven kids between the ages of 10-18 will runaway due to their violation of privacy and other things. 1 to 3 million teens are on the street and rather stay there then go back and have their privacy disrespected. Now this is not just them locking themselves in their room but if there out hanging out, and permission was granted call maybe 2 or 3 times to make sure their safe but don’t start calling 50 times, maybe their at a movie and they can’t talk.( That is maybe one of the greatest examples I know of.)

Teens need emotional and physical space once in a while but it’s not just from their siblings but they also need it from their parents too. And parents you should respect that. Now this essay might not be the greatest one you ever read or you don’t believe in it, but as a teen myself but I believe in what I wrote and stand by it and maybe other teens and adults also stand by it.

cp102 said...
May 14, 2010 at 7:55 am:
i agree it can get claus terphobic at times

farmgirl101 replied...
May 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm :
Wow...that great you think that! But sometime we should give are parents a little credit. At least they care about us.

Horsewriterlol said...
May 13, 2010 at 2:21 pm:
FINALLY! SOMEBODY WHO GETS US TEENS! Parents dont get us at all. Its annoying how much they dont know, they dont even listen! Sure parents get their privacy, do we? nope! I m so emailing this to my rents right now! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!! :)))

CassieSherman14This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm:
I might email this to my parents as a joke... great job! this is the most accurate article i've read yet... awesome job.

May 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm:
Thank you sooo much! It's like you could read my mind! I 100% agree with this article. Parents need to back off and that's why I don't tell them about my life( I don't do bad stuff and never will regardless of what parents do or say.) They try to tell you how to live your life.. It's annoying. That's also why I like the song Don't Tell me from Spectacular. My parents have parental controls and time restrictions on my computer.  I hate when people tell me what to do,how to live my life and w... (more »)

SKITTLES94DBHS said...
May 5, 2010 at 4:06 pm:
I couldn't have said it better. Parents should definitely learn micromanaging does't work. Mistakes are lessons, why should they be able to keep us from learning/