Hope for Haiti? | Teen Ink

Hope for Haiti?

By branflakes71 BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania
branflakes71 BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania

Dear Editor:
Have you ever seen a commercial about an organization trying to help what seems like helpless people or animals? Recently there has been much advertising by the Red Cross to help Haiti. Many people feel that they are helping the relief effort, regardless of through which organization that they contribute to. However, the reason you should not donate to Haiti through the Red Cross is shown in their underhanded dealings in 9/11 and misleading alleviation to the San Francisco earthquake victims.

After the horrific events of September 11, 2001, The Red Cross raised nearly $543 million for the relief effort. Most of the American public thought that the money was going directly to the families who lost loved ones in the tragedy. To much surprise, during a press conference Rep. Billy Tauzin declared, “What’s an issue here is that a special fund was established for these families. It was specially funded for this event, September 11. And it is being closed now because we’re told enough money’s been raised in it, but we’re also told, by the way, we’re going to give two-thirds of it away to other Red Cross needs.” Other Red Cross needs?

Another catastrophe that struck us was the 1989 San Francisco earthquakes. According to the Socialist Worker, the Red Cross raised around $50 million for the relief effort. Yet again, the Red Cross failed to deliver all the money to the relief effort. Out of that $50 million, an estimated $10 million ever reached the victims. Wondering where the other $40 million went to? Well then you are just as confused as I am.

From the points above, it seems like the Red Cross is not the most trustworthy organization. The Red Cross is now launching a relief effort to help Haiti. Should we really give to Haiti through them? How much money will they take from what we give this time? Whether they take two thirds or one percent, I feel that any amount is too much when the life of a starving child is on the line.

Sincerely,

Brandon A.

TommyS said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 6:06 pm
Great paper dude! Never knew the Red Cross did that kind of stuff. It caught me by surprise. Keep up the good work though dude!