Vegetarianism | Teen Ink

Vegetarianism

By Alexis Burke BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
Alexis Burke BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Teen Ink
P.O. Box 30
Newton, MA 02461

Dear Editor:

“Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chance for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet” (Albert Einstein). Most people would not consider becoming a vegetarian, but when you know the advantages, you may give vegetarianism a little more consideration. Vegetarian diets can enhance your health and benefit the animals as well.

There are many perks to a vegetarian diet. With a lower blood pressure, lower risk of heart disease, and half the cancer rate of non-vegetarians, vegetarianism can be very beneficial to your health. The Journal of the American Medical Association stated that “90-97% of heart disease could be prevented by a vegetarian diet.” There is also a risk of vitamin deficiencies. By looking for foods high in these nutrients or taking a vitamin supplement you can eliminate this problem.

“Animals are those unfortunate slaves and victims of the most brutal part of mankind” (Paul McCartney). Eight billion animals are killed every year in the United States for food, that number is higher than the population of the world. A calf is taken away from its mother at birth. Then put into a crate where there is no room for movement preventing muscle development to keep the meat tender. The calves are detained alone until they are four months old, when they are killed. Chickens are crowded into a warehouse where they have less than ½ sq. ft of space. The chickens are debeaked, shortly after birth, to prevent harming others. You may think other animals eat meat, why shouldn’t humans? Animals eat other animals out of necessity. Humans eat animals by choice.

When you eat meat, you are presented with the finished product. I hope this opened your eyes to what goes on before you go to Red Robin and order a burger. After learning what goes on, you may give vegetarian more consideration. Vegetarianism not only benefits your health, but it is also better for the animals.

Sincerely,

Alexis B.

Essie SILVER said...
Essie SILVER, Richmond, Illinois

When in doubt...make your character climb up a tree :)

A well worded article, but I disagree with you on many of the aspects, considering I am very anti vegetarianism. good article, though.