Why I Traded My Boyfriend for a Fish | Teen Ink

Why I Traded My Boyfriend for a Fish MAG

By Drama_Llama BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Drama_Llama BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants."

I was looking through the February issue of Teen Ink when I happened across a truly inspiring article: Kayla G.'s “Why I Traded My Boyfriend for a Fish.” The title caught my eye and I read more. It didn't take me long to discover that Kayla knew the secret of life.

In her funny and accurate article, Kayla explains how relationships in high school tend to be messy and drama-filled. Instead of a boyfriend, she suggests, get a fish! They can't leave, they're pretty, and they're ­exceedingly available at any pet store for ­under a dollar. I am now living happily with my aquarium buzzing next to my bed and my fishies watching me sleep. I believe Kayla sums it up best in her final point: “There's a guy out there for everyone, but remember there are always more fish in the sea.”

on Apr. 1 2010 at 11:40 am
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

I felt the exact same way about this article! Very good summary!