Kids These Days This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the spirit of January's "Spoiled"

There are many factors contributing to problems in school, but two major ones are ignorance and disrespect. Kids in America are so spoiled and many do not care about the world around them. They only care about themselves. They do not know that 64 kids die in Africa every minute, and frankly they couldn't care less.

Just the other day the yearbook committee at my school was asking for donations to help a boy with leukemia, and do you know what one kid said? "I don't care - let him die." I think this kind of callous disrespect could be prevented if kids read more about different situations they are oblivious too.

Another major issue is kids' lack of respect. They go stampeding around like they are kings and queens. Some seriously believe they are smarter than their teachers. I believe that these kids' parents are not raising them right, letting them do whatever they want. Or maybe it is a lack of discipline. Whatever it is, it needs to stop.

MarkJ.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agreee with you. Its sad to hear someone "I don't care. Let him die."

InsaneKitten said...
I completely agree! In school my teacher showed the class about wats happening in other places..... and it is very sad..  i think the most belief kids here have is mostly "That I have my own life why should I worry about someone else's" It's just sadly like this in the world. Tv, music, ect. suport this idea and parents....  i think they love there children to much to do anything obviously they never heard the term "tough love" Oh well maybe in ten years to twenty years it will change ... (more »)

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:25 am:
Nicely written. It's so true, too. Too few kids in developed countries take their living conditions for granted. Not sure if I agree with you on the lack of respect paragraph, though. I'm don't think you can pin it down on parents not raising their kids right so much as it being a general societal thing. And you've gotta admit, some teachers are pretty stupid. 

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:25 am :
Oops, meant to say "too many kids in developed countries"