Got Junk Mail? | Teen Ink

Got Junk Mail?

By Amy Prigmore BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Amy Prigmore BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I wholeheartedly agree with Maurice Gattis in his article “Got Junk Mail?” Everyday on average each home in the United States receives 2-3 pieces of junk mail. Like Maurice said, that can add up to 780-800 pieces of junk mail per year. Most people take a quick glance at this mail and then just toss it in the garbage not realizing how they are affecting the environment. Many cities have recycling programs but not enough people are using them. If more and more people continue to not recycle their junk mail, the useless destruction of trees will continue as Maurice stated in his article. Trees are important as they provide the oxygen we need to survive as well as providing homes for animals. Not recycling also leads to the over filling of landfills which does pose a problem in the United States. Instead of just tossing junk mail into the trash people should take action to help the environment and recycle. Thank you Maurice, for writing this article to raise awareness about the environment amongst the people in the United States.