Catholic School Girls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I would like to congratulate Brittany B. on a very well-written parody of the stereotypical Catholic school girl. Being a Catholic school girl, though, I disagree with and am appalled by the reputation given to my classmates and me. Just one walk through the halls of my school will make it clear that the stereotype does not apply.

This stereotype was revitalized by Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time." The poem clearly depicts the Spears image, and little else. It is important to realize, as with any stereotype, that it does not apply to everyone.

I understand that it is difficult to form individual opinions, but I will be the first to declare to anyone who is unsure that Catholic school girls have lives with much more substance than drugs, money, tight clothes and sexuality. We are very hard-working, care about others, are no more caught up in popular culture than any other teenager, and our brain cells certainly don't pop like bubble gum.

Jessica Richard said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm:
i so agree lol 

whatshername said...
there are mean girls everywhere...even in public schools many girls wear tight clothes, are driven by materialistic possessions ect.

Got-to-Be-Kidding said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm:

No one will read this, but it has to be said: stereotypes don't apply to people, most of the time.

It all depends on how people are going to act. 

Something you have no control over.

So if they go forth with being a stereotype or an individual is up to them.

Get over it, you can't stop it.

NellyBly said...
May 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm:
Honestly I have to disagree, I go to a cat school, and a lot of girls from there can be really crude, and mean. Honestly!

windblossom said...
Oct. 3, 2009 at 6:21 am:
I totally agree with you! Its a very healthy environment there, and catholic girls are'nt like cut off from the world are they! I studied in a catholic school too and enjoyed my time there a lot! we actually make great friends there! :)