Retire the Abuse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I feel that writer Florence W. is completely right. I wish we could stop putting our loved ones in homes where they may be abused. I have seen the effects of nursing home abuse and neglect.

My grandfather had to be put in a home after living with my family for many years. He got sick and we had no other choice. He hated it and would call us every five minutes to see when we were going to get him.

The second home he went to was more like a hospital because he had a severe stroke. There, he had to deal with a lady hitting him and even slapping him across his face. When he was finally able to talk, he told us everything and we got him out of there as fast as we could.

In the next hospital nursing home, the attendants were extremely mean and would yell at him. I'm sure that it gets frustrating working with people who cannot help themselves, but they need to have lots of patience and be loving. That nursing home eventually got rid of most of the mean employees and the nicer ones had a really hard time when my grandfather passed away.

I would definitely like to find nice people for every nursing home so that the elderly would be treated well. I may even go into a career where I can help the elderly and make sure they are safe and happy as I wish my own grandfather had been.