Smoker Robert This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In December’s Teen Ink we read an interview with Robert about his cigarette addiction. Robert didn’t realize the long-term effects of his decision to start smoking at age 16, and now years later he has lung cancer. It is hard to comprehend how someone could choose cigarettes over his family, as Robert admitted doing.

We feel this is a valuable interview because nicotine addicts should seek help. Sometimes the children of smoking parents should realize that their parents need more help than they can offer. The author presents a strong message to parents: keep kids from smoking. If they never start, or stop early on, it only benefits the child’s future.

Many people regret smoking when they get older. Robert is a good example of a long-term smoker who now suffers the consequences. Don’t start.