The Discovery This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In Noelle Y.’s piece “The Discovery,” the meaning of family was brought to my attention. Noelle writes about her younger brother who died in his first few days of life and how her trips to the cemetery help her remember him. Noelle never got to know him which is why her piece made me really appreciate my life and my family.

Usually I thought about my younger sister as just an annoyance, but recently I have become very thankful for her. After reading Noelle’s touching story, I have become so grateful for my little sister. And now I feel that having a sister in my life is such a privilege. I’ve never had the experience that Noelle had of losing a sibling. And I can’t even imagine not having my sister in my life. She means the world to me and is one of my best friends.

Editor’s Note: Family relationships are complex and even confusing. Our focus on siblings starts on page 48 and has lots of pieces about living with - and without - those sibs.

noelle said...
I think it's good that we learn early in life that family is the most important thing. there the ones we can count on to lift us up if we're feeling sad and help us feel important. :)