“A” For Effort and The Anti-Safe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I’m responding to two articles in the April issue’s focus on college.

In Nicholas Balzo’s article “‘A’ for Effort” I felt that my opinion was finally expressed. I’ve never known anyone who shares my opinion that affirmative action is discriminatory. It’s true, though - you cannot fight discrimination with discrimination. No one should be admitted to college on the basis of their skin, family background, religion, etc.

When I read “The Anti-Safe” by Briana Wymer, I was moved by a number of feelings. The most overwhelming, though, was pity. Learning is living.

She says she takes the hardest classes she can and does well and is labeled “the good kid.” I am in the same situation, but I don’t feel I haven’t lived. On the contrary, I feel I’m the most alive. Through learning you experience hope, dedication and perseverance. Learning and studying is the most valuable part of a person’s life. For me, it’s fun. I would much rather die knowing I had learned and accomplished rather than having just had fun. Wouldn’t you?