R-E-S-P-E-C-T This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I read “R-E-S-P-E-C-T” and was immediately hooked by the fact that this teen feels uncomfortable because he is a boy. That is definitely not something you hear every day! After finding out his reason for the shame he feels, I was so appreciative that this article was published. Chris D. wrote that women and girls today are viewed as objects to be played with, while he feels they should be treated with care. I believe this is a rising problem, and something needs to be done.

I don’t know if it was correct to say that all guys treat all girls with disrespect, but the majority are so awful that they give even sweet boys a bad “reputation.” I am proud to say in this case chivalry is still alive, but a little more all around wouldn’t hurt.

While some in my class laughed at Chris’s opinion and called him a bona-fide mama’s boy, I for one think that being a mama’s boy is nothing to laugh at, and if we had a few more boys and men like him, the respect women get would increase.