Gay Marriage in the US This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

LoveLikeEpic said...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 9:49 am:
Okay, so you don't like gay marriage you say. You make the point of religion. First of all, it is not unconstitutional, there is no refrence to marriage in the constitution. At all. Also, in the bible, it does say that gay marriage is an abomination, but it also says that you should not wear blended materials (i.e cotton/polyester blends), you should not associate yourself with women on their periods, sex before marriage is wrong, you should not eat pork. So next time you eat pork, or you... (more »)

absolutelyapple This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If this piece was intended to be serious, I would advise that the author cite sources when stating facts about such a controversial issue. Otherwise, I think it's a very poignant satire.

UniqueDaisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks for writing this! I'm bisexual and Christian and support you no matter what your opinion is!

sssppThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Actually, it sounds like you have a problem with Gays.

LadyKraken This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:57 am :
They always do.

RoseAndThorn said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm:
I almost cannot comment on this without sounding rude: there is nothing factual or even logical here. But, to try to be productive, I will explain myself. First, *homosexual* marriage is NOT unconstitutional. Banning homosexual marriage did not even occur to anyone because why? Everyone misstreated homosexuals far worse than they do today, and marriage was always done by the church, which would not allow it. Speaking of the church, are we not supposed to have separation of church and state? The ... (more »)

Sirie said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm:

First of all, let me just say I wouldn't pass this in an English class; muchless publish it in a magazine. This article contains abosolutely no proof to back-up the assertions that Gay Marriage is "unconstitutional." If you'd actually put down the Bible and pick up a textbook, you'd realize that Gay Marriage ISN'T unconstitutional. The Constitution is presumed to have left the issue to the States. That's it. When someone says "it's unconstitutional" they're referring to the FEDERAL Government... (more »)

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm :
No, of course not, but you see, it's because straight people are obviously better (sarcastic!). Yeah, I totally agree. He didn't cite anything, and he's just biased. Plus, there's an amendment against "being denied because of race", so you can't be racist, but you can hate gay people even though they can't change it? So much for America being "the land of the free". The archdiocese talked to my future high school to try to influence them into voting against gay marriage, and the students ... (more »)

indimcmathz said...
"I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married" Based on this and everything else in your article, you clearly have a problem with them. Don't try to deny it.

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Here we're my reactions while reading this article: 1) Really? G a y marriage is controversial? Wow, I did not know that! *sarcasm* 2) Straight couples kiss in public too *sarcastic gasp* 3) How the he\\ is g a y marriage unconstitutional!??!?! Wtf?!? 4) Ya know, there are quite a few non-religious people out there... 5) Ya know, most people don't like it when they have the "book thrown at them"... 6) *sighs* oh, the ignorance...what a shame.

necessary824 said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 5:12 am:
There's a lot of things I don't agree with....doesn't mean they're unconstitutional (or wrong even). Comparing speed limits to a lifetime commitment with a partner is ludicrous. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion - but you need to, as a writer, come up with much more logical arguments - otherwise....you just sound silly.

savetheplanet said...
I am compltely floored that Teen Ink thought that this article should be put in their magazine.  It has absolutely no factual basis.  G.ay marriage is NOT unconstitutional.  I don't even know where you go that idea.  In fact, the Constitution is not based on faith, so your arguement that it goes against religions is irrelevant.  There's a clear separation of church and state in this country, thank goodness.  So we're going to go around throwing books at people who d... (more »)

savetheplanet said...
I am compltely floored that Teen Ink thought that this article should be put in their magazine.  It has absolutely no factual basis.  Gay marriage is NOT unconstitutional.  I don't even know where you go that idea.  In fact, the Constitution is not based on faith, so your arguement that it goes against religions is irrelevant.  There's a clear separation of church and state in this country, thank goodness.  So we're going to go around throwing books at people who di... (more »)

Annaklusmos said...

There is nothing in the constitiution that says this isn't allowed and it would be wrong to change that. the people at disney land were trying to make a point, that there is nothing wrong with being diffrent. 

And, I'm sorry but I just have to say this. A lot of people think that homosexuality is simply unnatural. I can tell you at least one place in nature where that DOES happen naturally. 

Clownfish! look it up! clownfish are born with both genders which they can swi... (more »)

indimcmathz replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm :
Huh, you learn something new everyday!

RoeS said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:28 am:

I completely agree with the original article by Dan. He's right - laws are laws, and they are not 'meant to be broken'. That is movie stuff only, so please keep it there. Dialogues like that are just for people looking for excuses. They break the rules they want, and when it comes to a rule that is benefitting them they stick up for it. Its all about trust: if God said its a bad thing, its a bad thing. God created you. He knows better than you. There are so many things of his we dont understa... (more »)

AHandfulOfDust replied...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm :
That's right, laws are laws. And there's this very interesting bit of the Constitution people call the "Full Faith and Credit Clause", which says that states have to recognize marriages performed in other states. Which makes this whole I'm-not-going-to-recognized-same-sex-marriage-performed-somewhere-where-it's-legal unconstitutional. Incidentally, refusing to recognize same-sex marriage on the state level is breaking the highest law of the land - the Constitution. Seems to me you're looking for... (more »)

Person said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 8:54 am:
Religion should not be a factor in what is legal and what isnt, and neither should God. Even if most of Americans are theists of some degree, it shouldnt be a factor in deciding what is legal, as the Bible, or Koran, or whatever you want to use is not a legal document, and no law should and wont be made in regards to certain religions. I also want to point out this line "Gay marriage is illegal, and that is why I disagree with it." So youre saying just because its illegal is why you disagree. Ok... (more »)

xxcmcxx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm:
Well although I do not agree with public displays of affection there is a reason for those people's acts. If children are exposed to same-sex couples at an early age they will grow up believing it is normal- it is. Nowhere in the constitution is anything about people getting married stated. Do not back up your opinion with the constitution unless you can cite something from the constitution that can prove it. Also, who is allowed to get married to whom has been an on going fight f... (more »)

WrItEr2010 replied...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm :
If the rules are always bent, that is pure anarchy. No law!