Gay Marriage in the US This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

j1448This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 3:47 pm
First of all, I applaud you for writing this piece. It takes a significant amount of courage to be this open on a topic that many people disagree with. As someone who identifies lqbtq+, I believe that love is love, no matter who it is with. I also believe that marriage should be an option for those who are in a committed relationship and want to spend the rest of their lives together. What you saw at Disneyland might have been appalling, but you also had the choice to walk away. (I definitely wo... (more »)

Depressed_saltThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 23 at 2:28 pm
This was VERY disappointing, tbh. When I saw the title and the fact that it was in the magazine, I was definitely looking forward to something else. Honestly, I'm not throwing shade at you, but you have 0 evidence supporting your point. The only two arguments you pose are, one, that some gay people had a protest and kissed in public and that it makes you and your future children 'uncomfortable'. Well, guess what? Long nails make me uncomfortable, but I'm not trying to make laws against is. Becau... (more »)

ThrillQueen126This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 22 at 2:39 pm
In this country, religion is separate from state. Although there is nothing wrong with any religion or their laws, they should not be a part of the laws of a country. Gay marriage is not unconstitutional, no matter how many people disagree with it. Preventing someone from marrying who they love is unconstitutional.

gaygaygay said...
Mar. 31 at 8:21 am
I sry i wrote teh cunstitooshun n i m reel ghei

SherlockOf221b said...
Mar. 29 at 3:22 pm
I respect your opinion, though I disagree with it greatly. You should understand how it feels to be discriminated because of whom you love. That couple was most likely not forcing themselves and their relationship upon the kids. Their own parents would have been the ones to complain. Kids get curious when they see something they aren't used to, that doesn't mean they will want it, it just means they want to understand. There are many heterosexual couples in the world that are open about their re... (more »)

Nated315This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 25 at 10:01 am
I respect that everyone is allotted an opinion of their own, this is why I liked your article. But is it really the fact that it is unconstitutional to marry two men or two women? Or do you have suppressed feelings perhaps? This is not an attack, just an attempt to get you to think and dive down deeper. If you look at the constitution, look at the 14th amendment. Gays, transgenders, blacks, whites, everyone, is covered. If any right is given to one group of people, all people are given that ri... (more »)

ItsTimeToBeginThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Is this...sarcasm? I'm sorry if it's not true, but it kind of reminds me of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". It's just the fact that you use informal phrases such as "As you may know" and "I was taught by my parents to be a good person", and it seems like you're intentionally making the narrator seem unprofessional and uneducated. But you do have interesting metaphors though! I laughed when I read the one about the speed limit

QudsiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 26, 2015 at 8:40 am
God has created us and we must restrict our desires to get the result in the afterlife. (for believers, no offence.)

Nibibella said...
Aug. 22, 2015 at 9:44 am
I'm not American, but wasn't America founded on the principal of equality for all? Banning gay marriage is very hypocritical of that principal; you're denying people human rights.

PinkSkies said...
Okay,I know how people are entitled to their opinion, but seriously, how old are you. Do you even understand how many years gay and lesbian people had to wait to be able to be married in the world. Also, since when is kissing sexual activity? It's also not against the law. I definitely disagree with your 'piece' and think you should change your mind, obviously.

KittyKat1419This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 10, 2015 at 7:41 am
I agree with all of your statements. This is a very good article! Nice job and keep up the good work

Zwrites said...
Ah, yes of course, a requirement for gay marriage is in fact to display affection in Disneyland. Oh, and I forgot this little tidbit: heterosexual couples NEVER exhibit PDA. As you are right and children should never see anyone kissing, I am sure their parents take extra care to shield them from public areas, television, and even their own relationship with one another to prevent them from seeing anything so inappropriate. Also, fun note: gay marriage is not unconstitutional and is legal in m... (more »)

hgrath14 said...
Apr. 15, 2015 at 12:03 am
Let's say our roles are switched, and you were told you can't get married to your partner. You were head over heels in love, but you couldn't get that love recognized by the state. How would you feel if people stared at you like you were an outsider and you didn't feel comfortable showing affection in public for the fear of being denied service at a restaurant or other establishment? I'd be willing to bet it would make you uncomfortable. It is unfair that we are being denied rights that are take... (more »)

RightWingExtremistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sexual love is not the only requirement for marriage, the bond between a man and a woman is something special. Men and women complete each other, the woman provides something to man that a man can get no other way and vice versa. What is that, you ask? Masculine and feminine qualities. The woman provides a feminine quality to the man that he can find no other way because men don't naturally harbor feminine qualities, the same way women don't naturally harbor masculine qualities. The same thing g... (more »)

runandgoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
How do you say "I have no problem" with gay people, but then go on to say that the idea of marrying who you love is unconstitutional? You're literally saying that you don't want someone to have the same rights as you. Call me crazy, but that's a ridiculously hateful thing to say. Also, if you consider kissing a sexual act, I guess you had better yell at all the straight people who do it, too. You know what it says in the Bible? "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Far more often than it says that hom... (more »)

GhostGal17 said...
Mar. 22, 2015 at 11:48 am
Also gay marriage isnt against the law, where does it say that it's against the law...hmmmmmmm... no where. And when people kiss in public it's wrong with homosexual people? NO!, so people who are straight can kiss in public and do sexual act in public also because our generation now is messed up! Toni

LaRomanichelle said...
1. You say you have no problem with gay people, yet you don't want them to have the same rights as you. 2. If it's wrong for homosexuals to display affection publicly, is it wrong for heterosexuals to do the same? I saw two straight people doing the do on the transit before. And yet, straight people can still marry. 3. Where, in the Constitution, does it mention marriage at all? Let alone gay marriage? 4. Using that logic, you also support slavery. Afté

1. Marriage is not a civil right 2. Heterosexuals and Homosexuals should be held to same standards of public decency. 3. You are correct, but remember, that's a double-bladed ax 4. What does gay marriage have to do with slavery? You're saying because he does not support gay marriage, he's pro-slavery? What kind of "logic" are you following?

dsturnea2015 said...
Last but not least, I can strongly assume that you do not know a single gay person, nor have had a conversation to someone with a different sexual orientation. One scene of "Public display of affection" should not alter ones opinion. There are thousands of gay people in the United States, many are in and out of the closet, therefore there is no certain number. If you don't have a problem with gay people in real life or television, then why are you against them marrying? Duality is expired in... (more »)

dsturnea2015 said...
So sorry, but strong opinions are magnetic to strong opinionated rebuttals. Exceeding speed limits are indeed unlawful. Not anarchy. Anarchy is without government. Speed limits do not impose anarchy. And as the editors have confirmed: gay marriage is not technically unconstitutional, therefore no law is broken and it is not anarchy.