Gay Marriage in the US This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As you may know, gay marriage is one of the most controversial subjects today. I happen to disagree with gay marriage and here's why. I've seen gay people, on TV and in real life, and I have no problem with them but I don't like the idea of them getting married. Take for example last year at Disneyland when there was a gay activist party. Guys were kissing and performing sexual acts in public, not even caring who saw them. If I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kids exposed to things like that. This is a family theme park and to expose the public to their personal life is wrong.

Also, gay marriage is unconstitutional. America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage. Gay marriage is also against most religions and isn't same-sex marriage against God's plan? I also think that the towns that married gays should have the book thrown at them. Take Multnomah County, OR. They gave out something like 200 marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The law has not been changed yet so why does Multnomah marry them? It's just like saying "Well, the speed limit is 50 but I feel like going 90." It's no different, it's total anarchy and it's wrong.

I was taught by my parents to be a good person and obey the rules no matter if it was in my house or the world. Gay marriage is against the law and that is why I disagree with it.

Editor's Note: Though there has been talk of a Constitutional ban on gay marriage, it is not currently technically unconstitutional.

QudsiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 8:40 am
God has created us and we must restrict our desires to get the result in the afterlife. (for believers, no offence.)

Nibibella said...
Aug. 22 at 9:44 am
I'm not American, but wasn't America founded on the principal of equality for all? Banning gay marriage is very hypocritical of that principal; you're denying people human rights.

PinkSkiesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 13 at 11:55 pm
Okay,I know how people are entitled to their opinion, but seriously, how old are you. Do you even understand how many years gay and lesbian people had to wait to be able to be married in the world. Also, since when is kissing sexual activity? It's also not against the law. I definitely disagree with your 'piece' and think you should change your mind, obviously.

KittyKat1419This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 10 at 7:41 am
I agree with all of your statements. This is a very good article! Nice job and keep up the good work

Zwrites said...
May 30 at 11:15 pm
Ah, yes of course, a requirement for gay marriage is in fact to display affection in Disneyland. Oh, and I forgot this little tidbit: heterosexual couples NEVER exhibit PDA. As you are right and children should never see anyone kissing, I am sure their parents take extra care to shield them from public areas, television, and even their own relationship with one another to prevent them from seeing anything so inappropriate. Also, fun note: gay marriage is not unconstitutional and is legal in m... (more »)

hgrath14 said...
Apr. 15 at 12:03 am
Let's say our roles are switched, and you were told you can't get married to your partner. You were head over heels in love, but you couldn't get that love recognized by the state. How would you feel if people stared at you like you were an outsider and you didn't feel comfortable showing affection in public for the fear of being denied service at a restaurant or other establishment? I'd be willing to bet it would make you uncomfortable. It is unfair that we are being denied rights that are take... (more »)

RightWingExtremistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 12 at 11:06 pm
Sexual love is not the only requirement for marriage, the bond between a man and a woman is something special. Men and women complete each other, the woman provides something to man that a man can get no other way and vice versa. What is that, you ask? Masculine and feminine qualities. The woman provides a feminine quality to the man that he can find no other way because men don't naturally harbor feminine qualities, the same way women don't naturally harbor masculine qualities. The same thing g... (more »)

runandgo said...
Mar. 28 at 11:53 pm
How do you say "I have no problem" with gay people, but then go on to say that the idea of marrying who you love is unconstitutional? You're literally saying that you don't want someone to have the same rights as you. Call me crazy, but that's a ridiculously hateful thing to say. Also, if you consider kissing a sexual act, I guess you had better yell at all the straight people who do it, too. You know what it says in the Bible? "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Far more often than it says that hom... (more »)

GhostGal17 said...
Mar. 22 at 11:48 am
Also gay marriage isnt against the law, where does it say that it's against the law...hmmmmmmm... no where. And when people kiss in public it's wrong with homosexual people? NO!, so people who are straight can kiss in public and do sexual act in public also because our generation now is messed up! Toni

LaRomanichelle said...
Mar. 17 at 6:20 pm
1. You say you have no problem with gay people, yet you don't want them to have the same rights as you. 2. If it's wrong for homosexuals to display affection publicly, is it wrong for heterosexuals to do the same? I saw two straight people doing the do on the transit before. And yet, straight people can still marry. 3. Where, in the Constitution, does it mention marriage at all? Let alone gay marriage? 4. Using that logic, you also support slavery. Afté

May 9 at 2:58 pm
1. Marriage is not a civil right 2. Heterosexuals and Homosexuals should be held to same standards of public decency. 3. You are correct, but remember, that's a double-bladed ax 4. What does gay marriage have to do with slavery? You're saying because he does not support gay marriage, he's pro-slavery? What kind of "logic" are you following?

dsturnea2015This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10 at 6:32 pm
Last but not least, I can strongly assume that you do not know a single gay person, nor have had a conversation to someone with a different sexual orientation. One scene of "Public display of affection" should not alter ones opinion. There are thousands of gay people in the United States, many are in and out of the closet, therefore there is no certain number. If you don't have a problem with gay people in real life or television, then why are you against them marrying? Duality is expired in... (more »)

Mar. 10 at 6:26 pm
So sorry, but strong opinions are magnetic to strong opinionated rebuttals. Exceeding speed limits are indeed unlawful. Not anarchy. Anarchy is without government. Speed limits do not impose anarchy. And as the editors have confirmed: gay marriage is not technically unconstitutional, therefore no law is broken and it is not anarchy.

Mar. 10 at 6:21 pm
I agree with when you say that the people kissing in public isn't appropriate simply because you and I must share pet peeves on public display of affection, as do many. A lot of us can agree on that. Gay or straight, public display of affection is sketchy. As noted by the editor, gay marriage is not unconstitutional. When you state that gay people should, "have the book thrown at them," you seem pretty political and religious altogether (I apologize greatly if that seems rude, I have no int... (more »)

Boomer671 said...
Mar. 2 at 5:30 am
I disagree. For one thing, you've directed the whole sexual activity thing to only the gays, it would be no different if it were to be a bunch of straight people performing those sexual acts. I'm pretty sure no parents would want their kids to see that too. Remember, there is a separation of church and state when it comes to the constitution and declaring same sex "unconstitutional" because of religion is unconstitutional itself. There are various religions that reside. Everyone has different ... (more »)

dsturnea2015This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 10 at 6:44 pm
I strongly agree with the suggestion to vote. Alot of people who are against gay marriage actually do not know any gay people. They have never actually engaged in a conversation with a gay person. It just shows that people are afraid of things they are not comfortable or acquainted with.

kmmy0206 said...
Feb. 24 at 7:46 pm
Although, I respect your beliefs, I do not believe that YOUR PERSONAL beliefs should dictate whether an ENTIRE group of people should or should not get married. What puts your beliefs on top of others? Nothing. By legalizing gay marriage, it is giving homosexuals a choice of marriage. A choice that nobody has a right to deprive them of. Gay marriage is a choice, and if you do not support it-don't. But also don't try to deprive others of happiness. Love is Love. No mater what sexual orientation t... (more »)

ISeetheStars said...
Jan. 27 at 2:42 pm
I totally agree with this. Even thou you may love someone of the same sex it does not mean that you have to display it to the public, let alone in front of a bunch of kids. Yes, later in life they will be exposed to that, but does it have to be a Disney land? A family oriented place? Uh, no. Plus, i think it's the parents job to teach their kid right and later on learn that stuff. Not from someone else.

FeelingRandom said...
Jan. 21 at 2:43 am
By saying that you don't like the idea of kids being exposed to personal lives, you are also saying that you don't like the idea of a heterosexual couple kissing in public. I am pretty sure that doesn't bother you. Also you mentioned what our founding fathers would say. They would disagree with many ideas that are considered normal today. They feared diversity in a way. Look at the US now. An idea in the beginning is always considered weird or wrong at first. In other words, I disagree with you.

readlovewrite said...
I have to say that I disagree with you, but I am curious why it matters to you who a person chooses to love and marry. You say in your first paragraph that gays should not expose the public to their PERSONAL LIVES, so where do you draw the line between a personal decision and a governmental decision?