America’s Problem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Kelly, I truly agree with your comments about political parties and how they are tearing our nation apart. It seems that it is not so much the war or taxes causing unrest, but the fact that we have widely differing opinions.

The only point I dislike in Kelly’s piece is her opinion about America’s youth and our indulgence in political parties. Coming from a severely right-wing family, I am a firsthand observer of how parental views influence their children, but I think that this may actually give children more openness.

Granted, in our early years we will probably be vehement speaker-boxes for our parents’ ideals, but as we mature, we may shed these and allow ourselves to find new ones. After indulging so heavily on one side and then switching views, we may be able to have greater understanding of opposing opinions. Isn’t it ignorance that breeds this conflict? I think so. Being forced into one party ultimately educates us, and this education brings understanding.